Badges

Frequently Auto-Approved

Professional Reader

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Historical Movie: The King's Speech Coming In Novermber

My Husband found this clip on the Yahoo movie page. Knowing how I am obessed with anything with royalty he called it to my attention.I will be in line to buy my ticket for this film for sure.
George VI, also known as Bertie, reluctantly takes the throne of England when his brother, Edward, abdicates in 1936. The unprepared king turns to a radical speech therapist, Lionel Logue, to help overcome his nervous stutter and the two forge a friendship.










Who is Lionel?
I never heard of Lionel Logue before so I did a quick search on him and this is a small piece of his work with King George.
Before he ascended the throne, Albert, Duke of York, dreaded public speaking because he suffered from a severe stammer. His closing speech at the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley on 31 October 1925 proved an ordeal for both speaker and listeners alike. The experience left the Duke resolved to find a way to manage his stammer, so he engaged Logue.

Diagnosing poor co-ordination between the Duke's larynx and thoracic diaphragm, Logue prescribed vocal exercises which would occupy an hour daily. Logue's treatment gave the Duke confidence to relax and avoid tension-inducing muscle spasms. As a result he suffered only occasional hesitancy in speech. By 1927, he was speaking confidently and managed his address at the opeing of the Australian parliament in Canberra without stuttering.

Logue's work with the Duke continued through the 1930s and 40s. He used tongue-twisters to help King George VI rehearse for major speeches, his coronation and radio broadcasts to the British Empire throughout World War II. The King recognised his friendship and gratitude to Logue by inducting him to the Royal Victorian Order, awarding him an M.V.O on 11 May 1937 and elevating him to C.V.O. in 1944.

This is a fascinating story on a man who helped a King cant wait to see the film!

2 comments:

dolleygurl said...

I had heard of this movie a few weeks ago but hadn't seen the trailer. I too am interested in seeing it.

alfred said...

Excellent blog.

Fancy the content I have seen so far and I am your regular reader of your blog.

I follow your blog and I like your way of posting.

I am very much interested in adding http://danisbookshelf.blogspot.com/ in my blog http://the-american-history.blogspot.com/.

I am pleased to see my blog in your blog list.

I would like to know whether you are interested in adding my blog in your blog list.

Hope to see a positive reply.

Thanks for visiting my blog as well !

Waiting for your reply friend !!!!!