Badges

Frequently Auto-Approved

Professional Reader

Blog Archive

Search

Loading...
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Honoring Our Military In Books


In Honor of Veterans Day I thought I would share how reading helped me get through some of the loneliest times while my husband served his country

Texas HeatMen In Uniform (By Request Series)In 1994 I was a young Navy wife with no children and tons of time on my hands. I loved to read but since I had just gotten married four years before. My life had been spent adjusting to my role as wife and learning how to deal with the household, while my husband was getting ready to go on his second tour of duty for six months. After he had left I realized I was all alone and I needed something to keep me occupied So I headed to the mall and walked in to the book store. I really wasn't in to reading historical at that time and romance was really what I was looking for either. So I just started picking up books and read the backs Until I came across Men In Uniform an anthology of three military themed novels.I knew I had to buy it and I did and went home had dinner and read the entire book in one night. here I was all alone but yet the characters I was reading about knew what I was experiencing. Then I found out that Debbie Macomber had a entire Navy Series that I had to start looking for.I managed to find them all I read them all with in that six month tour. Another author I discovered during that tour was Fern Micheal's and her Texas series Since I was from Texas and I had married a sailor I could Identify with Micheal's characters Billie and Seth Coleman. I passed many lonely hours with the Texas Series it was Simply delicious reading about the Coleman family and their jewels massive homes. Today there are tons of novels that feature our men In uniform and their families left at home keeping the home fires going.I am glad to see that authors realize that our military families do have some interesting stories to tell and its great that the wives have something that they can read where the characters understand what they are going through at that time. I would like to thank all the veterans and active duty military for making our country what it is today. Thanks to Debbie Macomber and Fern Micheal's for all the entertaining hours during that long six months.

0 comments: